Sunday 26 December 2010

It started with a sock monkey...

Since I started university in September I've found that I have a lot of time on my hands. I'm not even studying an 'easy' course, but going back to study at 23 after four years of full-time work means that your week feels incredibly empty! I'm living in halls, a mistake I think, considering I'm not really into traditional student pasttimes of drinking and clubbing (been there done it, definitely got the t-shirt), and having no tv licence I've turned to new ways to occupy my time. It started with a sock monkey:
















Please note, exhibits A, B and C, part of the Christmas presents to some of my flatmates. Luckily they didn't think I was a complete nutter and actually liked them, and I quite enjoyed making them. If anyone would like to make them, I used the tutorial here.


I then decided to knit a scarf for my mum, it went well and it was the first time I think I've ever fully completed a knitting project. My nan desperately tried to teach me when I was a child but I just never really got it, but for some reason I decided to have another go using the help of some you tube videos and ended up with something which actually resembled what I was intending. And surprisingly my mum loved it and actually wears it outside of the house! It kept me busy and the periods where I had nothing to do started to fly by...

So where does that leave me now? I'm home for the Christmas holidays and have enlisted my mum's help to make a dress. I'm hoping that I'll enjoy it and sewing/dressmaking is something I can do to occupy the time at university, because I can't spend all of my time doing work can I? Well, maybe I could but I don't want to...

No comments:

Post a Comment