Sunday 23 October 2011

Hats and hats and hats and hats

Have I ever told you I love hats? Well, I do. And I'm a hat person, which means that when me and my mum are out shopping she can plonk pretty much any hat on my head and it will suit me. Wedding hats, floppy hats, beanie hats, trapper hats, I just seem to have a head for hats, which I'm quite grateful for because there are some people in this world who will just never suit a hat. I look forward to the day where I'm old enough to successfully pull off a wide brimmed wedding hat without looking like I'm playing dress up. But for the time being my favourite type of hat is the novelty version, take this example as my favourite:

Yep, it's a panda, but I think I can pull off a silly hat!

Since I started knitting I've been desperate to make a hat but I've been putting it off because I wanted to make a chunky hat and haven't been able to find circular needles or double point needles in a big enough size. Yesterday afternoon I was bored, I'd bought a knitting magazine so I was motivated to knit and I wanted to knit something chunky, unlike the wrist warmers which I've been working on for forever, so I decided to screw knitting in the round and just make the hat flat and seam it using a skein of Sirdar Big Softie that I had hanging around. I based it on this pattern from ravelry, it's so easy but instant gratification was what I needed! So I knitted it up really quickly and then seamed it today. At first I went without the pom pom but I decided I needed a bit of sillyness to make it more 'me' so I made myself a pom pom for it. And here we have it, a bright and silly warm hat, perfect for bonfire night!

No comments:

Post a Comment